Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Dan's Introduction

My name is Dan, I’m a senior double majoring in Anthropology and Psychology. This program caught my eye last school year when a couple of my friends participated in it. I loved how the program was unique in the sense that it catered to every participant’s interests while still allowing a collective group dynamic to develop. Plus, Cape Town is beautiful and has a ton of outdoor activities. I have been involved in the outdoors my entire life, most recently in the UConn Outing Club, and have already looked up the University of Cape Town’s version of the Outing Club: the UCT Mountain and Ski Club! I am also really excited about having an internship within the Cape Town community. When going abroad, I have always wanted to do more than just live somewhere; I want to be engaged in the community at a level deeper than that of a tourist or visitor. This program allows a unique opportunity for that, and I believe the internship is going to make the difference in making this an amazing, incomparable experience. In addition, I ultimately want to work for a non-profit organization after I graduate, so my work in Cape Town will surely help that goal.

Speaking of graduation, as a senior, I am pushing my graduation date back a semester in order to participate in this program. That has been a very difficult decision for me, as I am well grounded at UConn and will be missing my last chance to live surrounded by the friends I have grown with for the past seven semesters. Such a concern, however, will only last as long as the plane rides to Cape Town, because as soon as I get there the beautiful landscape, people, and culture will overtake me. While I am going to cherish my upcoming time off this winter to spend time with friends and family who I will be leaving, I am very excited to embark on what will surely be an experience of a lifetime. 

No comments:

Post a Comment