Monday, May 7, 2012

Nicole: lessons learned now a part of her


Culture shock is real and intense and hard. I have come home to quiet streets and driving on the right side of the road again and people who ask me how my trip is. I am beyond happy that people are interested in my time abroad, but I do not even know where to begin. My life has changed these past three months and there no way I can describe it in a simple answer. And, I know the weight of my experience does not have to be put into one sentence, but if I do not cover the extent of how important it is I feel like I am not doing it justice. But, most importantly, I was terrified that I would forget everything I learned

On Wednesday I had dinner with some members of my family. I do not know how it started, but we had a debate about life circumstances. It got a bit heavy, and we argued over whether people try or expect the government and others to take care of them. One of the members in my family believed that those in tough life circumstances remained in that by choice and by not stepping up and doing something with their lives or standing together, particularly those who were black. I felt like I was stabbed in the chest. My thoughts flashed to every single person I met in Cape Town who had been dealt very hard circumstances that gave everything they had to make other people’s lives better. It struck me to my very core and the tears swelled up in my eyes almost instantly. I knew better, that life was not so simple and hardships are rarely ever just brought on by person who does not feel like working. However, my emotional response was reassuring. In that moment of sadness, I knew everything I had learned would not leave me. I was so worried that Cape Town would feel like a distant memory, but I have discovered it is a part of me.

No comments:

Post a Comment