Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Kelsey's appreciation from afar


Sitting here, two weeks after returning, I could list everything I already miss about South Africa. I could start crying writing this but I think that would be unfair to Cape Town and everyone that has impacted me because of it. So, for now, I’m just going to remember the moments that have changed me forever – they’ll be plenty of time for the tears and reality later. Until then, I’m going to tell myself that I’ll be back and always hold onto the love that I have for Cape Town.
           
I’m trying to think of a good way to sum up my first couple weeks back in America but all I can think of is: “How was South Africa?!” Let me explain. I cannot recount how many times I’ve been asked how my “trip” was. Sure, let me just summarize four of the most impacting lives of my life in a one-sentence response to your broad question. No. That is an impossible task. But, I’ve come to determine those that actually care and those that are just being polite. To the former I ask what they want to know and the latter I say my rehearsed “it was amazing, I loved it!” I should probably mention that I literally cannot stop talking about South Africa. I have developed this cool (often called annoying) ability to turn any topic of conversation to something relatable to Cape Town. Most people don’t hesitate to remind me I’m in America, not South Africa – a fact I don’t like to be reminded of sometimes. Although there are certain things here that I definitely have a new appreciation for: crossing any street without being thrown into a game of Frogger is quite nice, being able to leave my bag in the next chair over while out to eat without a second thought of someone stealing it, not waiting an hour to get served an entrĂ©e, Oreos that taste how Oreos should taste, etc. On the other side, wine costing me an arm, overwhelming amounts of white people, hormone and preservative packed food, no one saying hi or smiling at me just because, etc. all encourage me to get back on that plane to Cape Town. Who would’ve thought that I look forward to the days when “Wyyynberg” and “Cape Teeeown” are screamed in my ear with incessant honking providing constant background noise. Something that I found so obnoxious at one point I know miss tremendously.
           
Anyways, the other day, I got some pictures printed and developed at CVS. They were from my underwater disposable camera that I took into the cage with me while shark cage diving. I was so curious to see what images that camera held since I’m pretty sure I just clicked the camera button at random times. My fingers were so cold I couldn’t even tell when I was actually pressing down on the button and I was a little more focused on the massive sharks around me than the camera. This fact is easily shown in the twelve images filled with murky waters and murky waters only. However, every other photo made me laugh. A fin or a random shark part was captured in some, faces with huge goggles and ridiculous wet suit hoods take on the role of penguin look-a-likes, and the most random other things perfectly captured my experience of shark cage diving: hilarious, and amazing.
           
I realize that this entry probably has no rhythm and is completely random but that is how the transition back to being an American has been for me. I’m not sad or depressed; rather, remarkably happy to have been given the opportunity of a life time. I get the privilege of looking back on a four month period with absolutely no regrets and an appreciation only fitting of the most incredible experience. Although I am bred American, a part of me will always be Capetonian.
           
It is through Cape Town that I’ve experienced poverty and wealth, tears and laughter, utter happiness and overwhelming sadness. I’ve made some best friends, grown to love some of the most remarkable people I’ve ever had the pleasure of meeting, learned more about the world and myself, and grown to become someone I’m finally proud of. Not many people are lucky enough to be able to say that.

No comments:

Post a Comment