Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Kristin in a strange twilight zone state of mind


Kristin during her time at Maitland Cottage in Cape Town

It’s been two weeks since arriving home from Cape Town.  I have written a LOT in my journal.  For much of the past two weeks, I feel like I have been in a strange twilight zone state of mind.  It has been a much weirder feeling being home than I had expected. It’s obvious but still strange to think that while in Cape Town, life back here continued and did exist at the same time that I was away.  It’s strange that many things have not change and at the same time, have changed so much.  It’s difficult to describe, and sometimes overwhelming to think about.  Adjusting has gotten easier as the days go by.  I have also been working just about every day once I got back from visiting UConn.

I loved seeing my family and friends upon my return back home, but I can’t get this weird, uncomfortable feeling out of my head.  It is like this cloud that has encompassed me, but it is slowly dissipating.  I’m not worried about it.  I was bothered at first by it, and found myself one night yearning to be back in Cape Town, to return to a place of comfort that I grew to know and love.  But I realized I’d just be running away from something I actually want to face.  I realized that there is discomfort in me because I am changing, and I am not yet used to this change.  So now, I welcome the discomfort with open arms, knowing it is a good thing. 
           
Nothing is perfect, I love America and I love South Africa.  I love them for many reasons, but especially for teaching me things about life that I never could have known I would learn in a lifetime, about myself and the world around me.  I am so grateful to everyone who has made this experience what it was and will continue to be as it has become a part of me.

No comments:

Post a Comment