Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Alex on being home


It was so surreal leaving Cape Town last Monday. As we finished up our packing, we had a surprise visit from Amanda and our little sisters. It was so great to see all of them again, and both Amanda and Siphokazi sung us a beautiful farewell song. It was really hard saying goodbye, but I know I’ll be back to Cape Town as soon as possible, and that was the only thing that helped me keep my emotions somewhat under control.

Though I have officially arrived back to the States it has yet to hit me that I’m actually back. And might I just say it wasn’t the best “welcome home” either, thanks to the airline losing one of my bags (it did eventually make it to me though). However, it has been really nice to be back and see loved ones again, and meet some for the first time (my sister had a baby in March)! I was really worried about returning to the States. It isn’t my first time transitioning from long periods abroad back to the U.S, but this time I was more worried about how it was going to go. In the past I’ve really struggled with it, but so far I’ve dealt with it well I think. I know that I’ve changed in more ways than I can explain to anyone, and I think that’s obvious. I’ve just made sure to keep in mind everything I learned while in Cape Town, and just listen to others. When they ask me about my experiences then I’ll open up, but I’ve learned to take it easy and just listen for a while.

It’s really interesting being back though, because I’m seeing things so much differently than I did before I left. I was aware of issues in my city and surroundings, however I’ve come back to look at them with a new and more mature eye I feel like. I think it’s important for me to see certain things and work towards fixing them as best I can. Since I’ve been back the little things that used to get under my skin or cause me to worry really don’t seem like anything anymore. I know there are much bigger problems (not that I didn’t before, but I’m just more in tune with them after seeing some firsthand) and that’s where my focus is. Being wasteful or greedy isn’t an option anymore. It’s about using what you have and giving what you can. I’m really glad that each life lesson learned over the past few months has made such a large impact on me, because I think I’ve been able to convey that to others. Hopefully those lessons will be able to reach others in my community as well.

So for the fear of returning home, I decided not to let it get the best of me. Each journey is what you make of it. If I wanted to stress about the transition, and feel like I couldn’t find a place for myself in my hometown then that’s fine, but it’s not a great start to coming back to the States. Cape Town taught me so much, but one of the biggest things I learned is to be open and willing to try anything, and make the most of each day. Those are things I definitely wasn’t the best at before, but now I’m decent at, and continuing to try it out with each day back here. Being able to be home for a visit is really nice, but to the Cape Town that I left… I can’t wait

No comments:

Post a Comment